Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Critical Reflective Post : "The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback"

 The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

By Park Yechan

   In the English for Academic Purposes (ES1102), we were asked to review and critically evaluate the works done by the classmates, giving feedback about what went well, as well as what could be done to improve the quality of the work. We pointed out the mistakes which often have to do with the structure, the format of the writing, the contents of the essay, and checking the presence of the topic sentence.  

   The purpose of this activity was to help each other to write a better essay. As we gave the feedback to each other, we would constantly have to recall the correct style of writing and format so that we would not end up giving the wrong advice to our friends. 

   The significance of tutor's feedback needs no explanation. It was indeed useful because I got to know where I had gone wrong, so that I would not make the same mistake again when I write essays even for other modules. As university assignments and assessments, most of the time, require one to write a lot (essentially what you will have to do is to state and express your opinion to convince other people), this feedback was especially useful to write in a more convincing way with an appropriate format adopted.    

   The peer review has its own significance too. When I gave the feedback, I developed my critical thinking skills as I had to decide whether I agreed or disagreed with his or her point of view. Even in class, as we shared our opinions and gave feedback to the work done by the classmates, we got to practice speaking out in public. The latest feedback I gave was on the presentation done by one of my classmates. As I gave feedback, I tried to see what went well and what went wrong. When I spoke out, I tried to organize my points in my brain systematically so that those who listened to me would be able to understand what I said more clearly. 

  Overall, the peer and tutor feedback has played a pivotal role in heightening my ability to think critically, and also in making sure that my writing follows the appropriate format with correct structure used throughout. I look forward to applying the knowledge and skills I have learnt from this module, peer and tutor feedback in particular, for better writing in future.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Yechan, for this fluent and fairly thorough critical reflection. In it you explain the value of peer reviews in general, focusing mainly on tutor feedback and how useful it is to look at others' writing. What seems to be missing is the key component of being able to receive and act on feedback given by others. I would have liked to have learned, for example, how the feedback you gave might have influenced you as you write new drafts. Was there any particular assignment where the feedback really helped you? Also, do you think there is a way for you to get feedback from friends or classmates in other classes?

    Whatever the case, I appreciate all your effort this term, Yechan. You've played an important role in our class. Thanks for all your contributions, and good luck as you continue your learning journey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yechan!

    I totally agree with your point that the peer reviews actually helped us to improve in our essay writing. From the comments given by our friends, we actually got to look into our problems and errors that we often made directly.

    Giving comments and reviews in an oral way actually did help us to present our own ideas in english, thus improving our speaking skills! I believe being able to write well and speak fluently in English are both crucial in life nowadays.

    Also, I would like a say THANK YOU to you as you never fail to make our english classes more interesting and full of laughthers! All the best in NUS!

    Cheers,
    JiaNing=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yechan!

    I agree on your point that not only did peer review sharpen our critical thinking skills, we were also able to organise our thoughts and ideas more clearly by sharing them with the audience. Indeed, peer and tutor feedback has great benefited us in our essay writing skills.

    Thank you for spreading joy to the class Yechan! It has been a pleasure knowing you.

    Adila :)

    ReplyDelete