Saturday, September 6, 2014

An event that has shaped your life and the person you have become

 "Why was I so careless?" I shouted to myself, as I was hitting the wall with my fist.

 It was during the mission trip camp last year. The youth ministry in our church has decided to go to Thailand for the annual mission trip. Everyone was busy with his or her respective task given, and I was, as a musician, made sure that the worship session would run smoothly and sounds of each instrument would be well blended. Everything went well during the camp itself, but little did I know that one of the most shameful moment was waiting for me.

 On the last day of the trip, I was even more busy than others as I had to pack my own things as well as the equipment we brought from Singapore.

 "Okay, done!" I thought, as I was about to finish packing my belongings before leaving the room and rushing to the venue everyone was supposed to meet at. We put the equipment and our bags into the bus and got into the bus. Things seemed to have run smoothly then.

 As I was closing my eyes to take a nap, our leader shouted in front of us to announce the lost items (as he was checking once again every room).

 "I got found this T-shirt in room XXX! Whose is this?"

 The moment I saw that familiar blue shirt with the stain at the familiar position, I immediately noticed that it belonged to me.

 "Oh, sorry! It is mine." I squeaked timidly, as I walked up to take it. By then, everyone started to giggle and laugh at me. Embarrassed, I snatched my shirt from leader's hand. However, to make things worse, my underwear which was untidily folded inside the T-shirt dropped.

"Oh, man! What is that?" shouted some of my friends, as they gave me a silly look and some of the girls covered their eyes when they had already seen it. My face turned into a tomato and I just wanted to faint. Unfortunately, I did not. Instead, I picked up that cursed underwear and camp back to my seat, pretending that nothing embarrassing happened.

 This was one of the most shameful experience that I had in my life. Since then, I have cultivated the habit of checking my belongings thoroughly so that I will not lose my things (and prevent them from being found by others)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Yechan,
    an interesting and comical read which you started right into the heart of the event and chronologically explains as the details unfolded. Love the way this article is structured.

    Surely, i guess it must have been a good albeit embarrassing reminder to look out for your items in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yechan,

    I feel that your blog post has a unique introduction as I was immediately drawn to read it. Your blog post is also very informative as I am able to understand the process of the incident and how it had cultivated your habit of checking your belongings. I have also faced similar embarrassing moments in my life too! It must have been quite an experience for you and I hope that it had not affected you negatively.

    Just a minor error that I have spotted in the sentence "..and I was, as a musician, made sure that the worship session would run smoothly..". It would be better if it was written "..and as a musician, I made sure..". Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

    Regards,
    Adila :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for openly sharing this embarrassing moment with us, Yechan. You describe it in fine detail, so much so that we can easily imagine being on the bus. Kudos for the clear, concrete description!

    One reason I can relate to this is that I had a similar experience once on an airplane, many years ago, in the days before attached baggage stickers. As I took my seat in the plane, just next to the window, I noticed that a blue duffle bag similar to mine had just fallen off the baggage truck and onto the runway. Then I looked again: a few clothing items were actually strewn across the pavement, outside the bag, and yes, the bag was mine!

    Soon a steward entered the plane and asked us all who the items that he was holding belonged to. In front of all the passengers I had to raise my hand and ask for my pants and shirts.

    Your post has invoked these memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ye Chan,

    I love your story. Although I've never experience something as embarrassing before, I can totally understand it because something quite embarrassing happened to me recently.

    My story goes like this: This happened in NUS. It just rained and i came out of the lecture, with my slippers, i walked up the stairs. There were two girls in front of me. As we all know the equation, Rubber slippers + Wet steps = Fall. So just like in the cartoon, I slipped and started to "run" on the spot. The two girls in front of me turned and let out a loud "AHHHH~" Luckily, i didn't fall. But it was still embarrassing. HAHAHA

    -Javier

    ReplyDelete